Thursday, August 28, 2008

Welcome back!


Welcome back Tigers! I hope you all had a restful and enjoyable summer vacation!

Over the summer, I traveled to Zimbabwe in the year 2194--by reading Nancy Farmer's The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm. The story takes place in a Zimbabwe of the future, where criminals are virtually nonexistent--except for the fearsome gang called The Masks. Read the book to find out how Tendai, Rita, and Kuda (a brothers-sister trio) are kidnapped and the detectives Ear, Eye and Arm attempt to track them down. You'll be zipping through the pages to discover if they will be able to save the children before losing them forever to the Masks! You can find The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm as well as Nancy Farmer's other books here at the Longfellow Library!

Did you travel someplace over the summer? Better yet--was it through a book? Post a comment (remember to follow the comment posting rules) to share your summer reading stories!

Book Title & Author: The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer
Accelerated Reader level: 4.7
Accelerated Reader points: 12.0

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This book is a rather interesting and fun book for more "modern" fiction readers. Although the odd thought of some guy having a huge ear, this book is a passable book in my sights.
Ian

Anonymous said...

I really love your Pendragon series and your Percy and the Olympians those are my favorite books!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't read any books by Nancy Farmer i don't think. But it sounds like an interesting book! I traveled to L.A and went camping once or twice. I've been reading a series of books called "The It Girl" and I really like it a lot!

Anonymous said...

Another book by Nancy Farmer that I really like is The House of the Scorpion which is set slightly in the future with a society divided into Humans and Clones. It brings up lots of issues, and feels just real enough to sometimes make you wonder "could this really happen?"

Anonymous said...

My summer wasn't that exciting between going to Cazadero and going backpacking in Desolation Wilderness but I got a chance to read some good books including Battle Of The Labyrinth, the fourth book in the Percy and the Olympians series. I highly recommend it!

Anonymous said...

No, i did not travel! My favorite book that i read was Twilight so I guess I did travel!

Anonymous said...

i liked dat book it was awesome and i did travel

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite books is new moon and no I didn't travel this summer.It is all about when Edward leaves town and Bella almost kills herself to hear Edwards voice.

Anonymous said...

i really want to read that book it sounds very good

Anonymous said...

I really like books by Nancy Farmer but The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm is my favorite because it's not only a futuristic (after a nuclear holocaust) sci-fi plot, but it's a mystery peopled by very humorous detectives who live in the northern part of Africa! Lots of plot turns, etc.
I read a zillion books this summer and traveled up the coast to Gualala (la, la) and East to Wyoming (to visit the Japanese Internment Camp (Heart Mountain)where my husband was born (3 weeks before it was closed.)
Guess who I might be???
Have you read Mr. Chickee's Funny Money by Christopher Paul Curtis or Peter Abraham's two "Echo Falls" mysteries? All very entertaining. The Grave is also a nice, new, creepy book by James Heneghan!

Anonymous said...

I like to read books, after books the latest series that I am reading is the daughters of the Moon series. It is about 4 girls who have magical powers. You should read the series.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to tell people about the book called The Sea Of Trolls. It is a really good book about two kids, a brother and a sister, who go on a great adventure. The boy becomes a bards apprentice. He gets captured by the berserkers, we call them barbarians. Then they meet troll queens and other great and mysterious people.